Livin' it up in Okinawa

Wednesday, March 07, 2007


I finally completed my first marathon! It has taken me over a year to run one even though I started training back in Februrary 2006. The original plan was to run the Kona Marathon in 2006 but I went to Diego Garcia. I started training in Diego for the 3 December 2006 Naha, Okinawa Marathon but tried to sign up in early October and the race was already full. Needless to say I signed up early for the Okinawa City Marathon.



It was a perfect day to run...about 70 degrees with overcast skies and some light showers here and there. For the first hundred yards the crowd of about 7,000 runners walked for about 50 yards to the start line. Each runner tag had a Radio Frequency ID tag that tracked your pace through check points along the course. By my timing I was on pace to finish in 3.5 hours up to mile 20 but the hills at about mile 21 to 22 kicked my butt! I didn't stop running but my pace was walking speed up the hills. This first photo was about mile 10 and I was still smiling. The three amigos photo are my friends Kevin, Cody, and Greg.

My proof of completion...finsiher's list. At 4 hours 4 minutes and 40 seconds I was 884 out of 5,830.







With the RFID tags, you can see one on Cody's number in the photo above, they scanned it at the finish line then you walked/crawled just outside the stadium and they printed the completion certificate with your name and time on there. In the third photo I was concentrating on not stopping to walk! I couldn't quite catch the lady in the yellow shirt on the last 400 meter lap around the stadium track. The funny thing was when a volunteer on race staff asked me to fill out a survey about 10 steps past the finish line and I couldn't even stand up straight. Veronica helped me to the orange slice and drink station and kept asking me if I was going to pass out. At the massage station they rubbed down your legs with packs of ice...sounds like it would hurt but it felt great! My soreness after the race was a lot less than I expected. By the 1st of March I was fine. A 75 minute massage two days afterwards helped.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 2:45 AM, March 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi: My name is Nancy Gillett and I was visiting my daughter who is stationed in Okinawa, Japan. We were there when the Marathon was taking place. I just thought it was neat, that we seen the marathon and now reading about somebody who actually was running in it!

 
At 11:19 AM, March 22, 2007, Blogger Weedman said...

Glad I could give you some info on your trip to Okinawa. I'm still trying to get my folks out here for a visit.

Anthony

 

Post a Comment

<< Home