Livin' it up in Okinawa

Sunday, September 03, 2006

You would think that Diego Garcia and Okinawa both being tropical islands would have the same humidity. Well I can confidently say that it's not even close. Okinawa is hands down the winner. As soon as you walk out the door you're instantly sweaty. I ran about 9am the other day for about 6 miles. Afterwards I sat down on a park bench to rest. In about 30 seconds I was sitting in a puddle of my own sweat.

Luckily I got a few days off to explore the island after returning from my stressful tdy to Diego. Somehow I lost the pictures from Cape Hedo. It's the northern most spot on the island. When Oikinawa was officially under US control the locals would light signal fires here to show their solidarity to mainland Japan.

The fireworks are from the Orion beer festival. As far as beer festivals go it's a little disappointing. There's no beer garden....just a bunch of food booths with the usual yakisoba and other healthy fried food. Although the fireworks are worth sticking around to see.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home