Livin' it up in Okinawa

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Anthony has been asking me to post something for a while now and I always tell him I don't really do anything exciting to write about. But today I actually didn't have to work and I volunteered at the Special Olympics that were held at Kadena Air Base. It was very hot and humid but no one seemed to mind. It was all about the children and adult athletes! There were an amazing 900 athletes and 300 artists that came from around 30 different schools on the island that participated in this years olympics. And its the largest special olympics event held in Japan!
I arrived early to help set up and prepare for the opening ceremonies. Once the torch was lit and the speeches were said, it was time to get to work! I was then asked to help in the entertainment section (no, don't worry I wasn't the one on stage). Actually 250 performers were scheduled to entertain. They ranged from traditional Okinawan dancers and drummers, children performing religious song and dance routines, and an Okinawa rock band. There were clowns - even Ronald McDonald showed up and was a huge hit! I think he made the other clowns jealous!
The games opened with the 30-meter and 200-meter dash. Other events included the wheelchair 50-meter dash, frisbee toss, field hockey, and the wheelchair beanbag drop. Many athletes, whether in wheelchair or on foot, fast or slow, finished their race or event with expressions of determination and joy. I didn't remember my camera and wish I had so I could capture a few of the images and include them in my post. I know I will never forget all of the happy faces and the sounds of laughter and cheer!
- Amanda

2 Comments:

At 6:02 AM, June 28, 2006, Blogger Zahra said...

Hey, I think you can actually set it up so you can have more than one person post on one blog (so you each could have separate names). If you're interested, I'll look it up for you. I made it so Jennie can post as herself on our blog, even though she never does. Love, Z

 
At 11:48 PM, July 14, 2006, Blogger Weedman said...

I've got Amanda on as a teammember. Are you on myspace Z? I'm trying to link my blog to my myspace page.

agl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home