Livin' it up in Okinawa

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Tomorrow will be the end of my first week on Diego Garcia. It's a small lagoon island in the Chagos Archipelago under British Indian Ocean Territory or B.I.O.T. as you can see on the link to Wikipedia. Work is steady but I have had some time to relax and get some good workouts in. My marathon training is on hold since I won't be able to do the Kona marathon on June 11th. I'll be here at DG then. The gym recreation services down here have some cool activities. This morning the latest event was a mini-triathalon; 600 yard(200meter) swim, 6.4mile bike(10kilometer), and a 1mile run(1.6kilometers). I was hurting after the swim, but once I got into a groove on the bike I was fine. For the first few minutes of the run I thought my legs were going to cramp up on me but I was fine. I can't imagine the feeling after a full triathalon! Next week there's a 5k(3.2mile) run and a 800m(2500ft) on different days that I'll probably try to finish if I'm not working.

I can't talk too much about work, but you probably guessed it has to do with the global war on terrorism or GWOT. We're a big fan of acronyms in the military. The only bad thing about being on a tropical island in the indian ocean is being away from my sweatheart Amanda! She's braving NBC exercises back in Kadena AB, Japan! No pictures yet but I'll post some shots in the next few weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home